NAEE President, Bill Scott, met Dhaval Patel from the Voluntary Nature Conservancy, VNC, last week to talk about environmental education in India and the UK.
VNC is based in Vallabh Vidhyanagar in Gujarat, and began its work as a charitable foundation in 1988. Its activities are wide-ranging, including:
- Nature Education Camps
- An Outdoor Experiential Educational Programme
- Observational Outing on Sunday Mornings
- A Reptile Education Program
- Save the whale shark and vulture campaigns
- Anti-polythene bag and pollution campaigns
- Organic Kitchen Gardening for Urban children
- Wildlife Rescue & Rehabilitation
- Tree conservation and plantation
- Research & Promotion of Technologies for sustainable Development
Dhaval Patel is VNC’s Founder & Honorary Managing Trustee, and his conversation with Bill included comparing the running of charities in the two countries, including details of government oversight through charity commissioners, and the costs of this.
Our two organisations agreed to keep in touch as our interests overlap considerably.