The UK National Commission for UNESCO has published a series of case studies showcasing best practice examples of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) from across the UK. The case studies were launched at the Four Nations Education for Sustainability Conference in Manchester on 20 March 2017.
The eight studies highlight different examples of ESD in practice from across the UK, including higher education and schools, the public and private sector, and grassroots community projects. Education for Sustainable Development is one of the targets of the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals and is also recognised as a practical tool for helping to reach other targets.
UNESCO’s Global Action Programme on ESD, which was launched in November 2014, seeks to contribute to the achievement of the SDGs by promoting Education for Sustainable Development, sharing best practice, and strengthening education and learning so that everyone has the opportunity to acquire knowledge, skills and values to enable them to contribute to sustainable development.
The selected case studies cover a wide range of approaches to Education for Sustainable Development in a range of contexts:
- Case Study 1 Engaging schools in sustainability: Eco-Schools, England
- Case Study 2 Learning for sustainability and teacher training: The General Teaching Council for Scotland’s professional standards
- Case Study 3 Students as change agents: National Union of Students UK
- Case Study 4 Institutional change programmes in higher education: the UK’s Green Academy change programme
- Case Study 5 International education through distance learning: the post-graduate Education for Sustainability programme at London South Bank University
- Case Study 6a Disadvantage and ESD: Down to Earth Project in Wales
- Case Study 6b Disadvantage and ESD: St James’s Community Forum, Belfast
- Case Study 7 Education business partnership and professional practice: Bulmer Foundation and Heineken
- Case Study 8 Aligning Welsh business and sustainability: Cynnal Cymru- Sustain Wales
You can download them here.